Bingham University Teaching Hospital, commonly called BHUTH, is a 150-bed general hospital located in Jos, Nigeria.
Founded by SIM in 1959, BHUTH is now under the auspices of the Evangelical Churches Winning All (ECWA). Its core medical services include surgery, internal medicine, pediatrics, and obstetrics and gynecology. Over the past decade several new specialized areas have been added:
- Ear, nose, and throat surgery
- Vesicovaginal fistula (VVF) surgery
- HIV care including antiretroviral treatment program
The shortage of qualified African doctors is acute. Besides providing high quality medical care, BHUTH is also active in medical education, providing several types of training.
Previously known as Evangel, BHUTH is now accredited as a university teaching hospital under Bingham University, and plan to have a full program of teaching medical students. Other areas of medical education include:
- General and specialty rotations for Nigerian doctors from other sites
- “Rotations abroad” for medical students and residents from other countries
- Training site for the Pan-African Academy of Christian Surgeons (PAACS)
- Our education programs emphasize not only medical excellence but whole-person care, an ethos of compassion, and Christian discipleship. The specialty areas listed above make our training programs even more attractive.